The Lime Rock Valley property has its roots in El Dorado Countys mining history. While there is evidence that some limited gold mining took place onsite during the years of the California Gold Rush, the primary mining activity at Lime Rock Valley involved limestone. Lime Rock Valley sits on a small portion of a vast limestone formation that runs North and South along the Sierra foothills.
The Lime Rock Valley property was home to one of several limestone mines found throughout the Sierra foothills. Limestone mining began at this location in the mid-1800's. Formal mining operations were established in the late 1800s with the formation of the El Dorado Lime & Mineral Company. Mining intensified in the early 1900's. The site was eventually served by a rail spur, first as a narrow guage feeder line for Central Pacific Railroad's Placerville branch, and later as a standard guage line for Southern Pacific Railroad.
The E. & J. Gallo Winery acquired the property in the 1970s to supply limestone for making glass wine bottles at its Gallo Glass Company located in Modesto, CA.